AI8 Redux Part 6: Adam Gives Us “Satisfaction” and We Give Him Votes!
By guest blogger “Idolholic”
Two years ago, on February 25, 2009, we finally got to hear Adam sing a complete song, uninterrupted, and then had the chance to vote for him for the first time! During this second of the three weeks of Top 36 contestants singing (with 12 contestants performing each week), Adam burst onto the stage with a rousing rendition of the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”. Did you phone in your votes for Adam after watching this performance?
Once again, the theme for the semifinals competition was “Songs from Billboard’s Hot 100,” giving each contestant a wide range of choices. Here’s how I ranked Adam, along with the competition (bold font indicates the three singers who moved on to the final rounds; interesting that this group of three eventually became our beloved “Kradison”!!!):
1. Allison Iraheta, “Alone”
2. Mishavonna Henson, “Drops of Jupiter”
3. Kai Kalama, “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted”
4. Adam Lambert, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” [note: Adam got the “pimp spot” & sang last this week!]
5. Kris Allen, “Man in the Mirror”
6. Matt Giraud, “Viva La Vida”
7. Jasmine Murray, “Love Song”
8. Jesse Langseth, “Bette Davis Eyes”
9. Jeanine Vailes, “This Love”
10. Megan Corkrey, “Put Your Records On”
11. Matt Breitzke, “If Only You Could See”
12. Norman Gentle, “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going”
Here’s Michael Slezak’s review of this show on ew.com (he had a lot to say about Adam).
And here’s Slezak’s recap of the results show (again, he writes about Adam quite a bit).
Now, on to my email to my fellow “Idolholics”! (At this point I did not have anything to say about Adam and hadn’t yet turned the corner into being the uber-fan than I am today…)
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:26 PM
Subject: Idol Top 36 Round 2
No long commentaries from me tonight, just these rankings:
IN A CLASS BY HERSELF:
1. Allison Iraheta. Best singer by a MILE! But worst interview I’ve ever seen! She’s an… introvert…but that girl can SING!!!
THE NEXT THREE:
2. Mishavonna Henson
3. Kai Kalama
4. Adam Lambert
THE NEXT SEVEN…
5-11. Everyone else was mediocre at best, except:
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF AT THE BOTTOM:
12. Norman Gentle. Truly a silly man. Wasted my time tonight. He’s very irritating, send him home NOW and put us out of our misery!!
Each week so far we seem to have one person in these categories:
1. Great male voice (Week 1-Danny, Week 2-Adam)
2. Great female voice (Week 1-Alexis, Week 2-Allison)
3. Truly odd and irritating person (Week 1-Tatiana, Week 2-Norman/Nick…and Week 3 will be Nathaniel “It’s On My Skin” and his pierced chin!!!)
Producers are clearly manipulating the lineup in each group of 12 to get the outcome they want.
Does anyone know what the “wild card” show will be like? I’m beginning to think there will be 12 of them brought back to compete for the 3 wild card spots…is that right?
Finally, your weekly reward for reading to the end of my blog is a video clip of Adam; this week there are actually three clips! First, here’s Adam singing “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”:
In this second clip, you’ll hear the judges’ reactions to Adam’s performance. Simon gave a mixed review, but the other three loved him! (Also check out Adam’s parents, Leila & Eber, smiling proudly in the audience):
And here’s his encore performance (from the results show the following night). Unbelievably, the producers paired him with the ridiculous Norman Gentle to hear the outcome from Ryan, so there was not much suspense here. However, Adam was polite and gracious about the whole thing, even paying Norman a compliment:
To Be Continued…
The Idolholic American Idol Redux Series:
The First Time Ever We Saw His Face
Part Two: The Auditions Go On…and On…and On….
Part Three: Hooray for Hollywood Week!
Part Four: And Then There Were 36
Part Five: Let The Voting Begin!!!
Part Six: Adam Gives Us “Satisfaction” and We Give Him Votes!
Part Seven: Lucky 13!
Part Eight: Adam and Those Twelve Other Finalists
Part Nine: Adam’s “Ring of Fire” Leaves Us “Confused…and Sort of Happy”
Part 10: Adam Gets a Standing O from Smokey Robinson!
Part 11: Adam Gets “Funky” !
Part 12: Adam’s “Mad World” Gets a Standing O from Simon!
Part 13: Adam Tells Us He Was “Born to be Wild”
Part 14: Adam Lambert Soulfully Sings “If I Can’t Have You”
Part 15: Adam Lambert Has Us “Feeling Good”
Part 16: Adam Lambert Gives Us Every Inch of His Love
Part 17: Adam Lambert has us cryin’
Part 18: A Change is Gonna Come for Adam Lambert